This month, we’re looking to do an international spin on an Aussie classic: the meat pie. Using all natural, Mexican-inspired ingredients we put our own unique twist on two different foods that make a delicious marriage fajitas and meat pies. Line your baking trays and grill your mince, because soon you’ll be munching on a taste sensation like no other. Keeping tiny tummies in mind, this recipe is especially mild so to satisfy all tastes but should you need to change any ingredients, rejoice in this meal’s diversity!
Don’t eat meat? Swap out the mince for cubed pumpkin and potatoes! Not a fan of beans? Exchange them for diced carrots, peas and sweetcorn, or whatever tickles your fancy! These tortillas pies are like an edible canvas, ready to be infused with the right flavours to satisfy your tastebuds, try them today!
- 300g – 500g lean beef/pork/chicken mince
- 1 red capsicum, diced
- 2 tsp mild Mexican chilli powder
- 400g can no-added-salt red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 400g can no-added-salt chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbs no-added-salt tomato paste
- Canola or olive oil spray
- 240g packet (6) wholegrain tortillas
- 1/2cup grated reduced fat tasty cheese
- 1 firm, ripe avocado, cut into small dices
- Squeeze lemon juice
- 1/2punnet grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over a medium to high, adding onions and capsicum and mince. Cook until mince is browned and cover to sweat off the vegetables, allowing them to release their flavour and infuse with the meat
- Preheat oven to 180oC
- After 5 – 8 minutes, add beans, tomatoes, and tomato paste and bring to the boil. Leave simmering for another 5 – 8 minutes while continuing to stir often.
- Remove from heat and leave to rest
- Grease a muffin tray with cooking spray or butter. Gently press a tortilla into each segment, folding the tortilla in places where necessary. Rub the edges with butter so as to let them brown when cooking
- Spoon your beef and vegetable mixture into the tortilla cases, sprinkling with a bit of grated cheese after. Bake in the preheated over for up to 20 minutes, checking it often.
- Toss diced avocado with lemon or lime juice
- After leaving the pies sit, remove them from the muffin pan and top with salsa. Enjoy!