A hearty winter soup suitable for lunch or dinner.
Makes 6 serves
1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium brown onion, diced
2 carrots, peeled and diced
1 chilli, diced (optional)
1 garlic clove, diced
1/3 tsp each dried oregano, ground cumin and ground coriander
1.5 cups red lentils, rinsed
4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
400g tin chopped tomatoes
1 cup water
Parsley or coriander for garnish
- Heat oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add onions and cook until softened. Add capsicum, carrots, chilli, garlic and dried herbs and spices. Cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring regularly until vegetables are soft.
- Add lentils, stock, chopped tomatoes and water. Bring to the boil and then reduce heat, allowing to simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until lentils have softened.
- Remove half the soup and puree in a food processor. Add the pureed soup back into the pot and stir well. Season to taste and garnish with parsley or coriander.
Notes & Tips
- This hearty soup can be served as a main meal or a side dish.
- Freshly prepared soups with added vegetables provide a range of vitamins and minerals and less sodium (salt) than soups made from a powder base.
- Red lentils are high in protein and fibre. They are a great vegetarian or vegan protein source.
- This soup freezes well. Freeze in individual portions for easier defrosting when ready to serve.
Prep time: 10-15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Good nutrition is essential for the health and wellbeing of young children. We are proud to partner with NAQ Nutrition, the Qld Division of Nutrition Australia, by producing recipes that are healthy, delicious and aligned with the Australian Dietary Guidelines.